Tuesday, December 24, 2013

God Without Arguments?


In the recent months, I have struggled with the idea that people can believe in God without taking into consideration the arguments that are in favor of God's existence such as; The Cosmological Argument, the Moral Argument, the Argument from Contingency and so on. In my ignorance, I thought that people needed to be enlightened by these augments to fully cherish and appreciate God's glory and power. For example, I have some friends in college that do not engage in apologetics but yet still exhibit faith and live very Godly lives. How is this possible? I have kept myself up late at night sometimes doubting, thinking and wondering whether God exists and more specifically that he has revealed him-self in Jesus Christ and they just believe it?. It baffled me that people just dismissed this seemingly important aspect of being a Christian. In this post, I am going to sort through this idea of belief in God without implementing arguments.

Dr. William Lane Craig teaches a class entitled Defenders. In this class, he instructs them through a plethora of different issues that pertain to the Christian faith. To my surprise, this very issue was discussed in Defenders. Dr. Craig offers an argument to help deal with this issue.

1.      Beliefs which are appropriately grounded may be rationally accepted as basic beliefs not grounded on argument.

Dr. Craig expounds on this premise by saying,

             Philosophers call beliefs like this, that are part of a person’s foundations of knowledge, “properly basic beliefs.” These are beliefs that are not based on some other beliefs. They are not inferred from those other beliefs. Rather they are part of the very foundation of your system of beliefs. Other examples of properly basic beliefs would include things like belief in the reality of the external world around you and the physical objects in it, belief in the reality of the past, that the world was not created just five minutes ago with built in appearances of age, or the presence of other minds besides yourself. [1]

Dr. Craig is saying that there some beliefs that you cannot prove or falsify. Some beliefs are just a part of foundation as human beings. One of the examples he gives is the reality of the external world around us. I cannot prove the world around truly exists but I know based on my experience that it does. This kind of reminds me of my youth and trying to catch the refrigerator light turning off. No matter how quick I thought I was, it always seemed to be on. With no way of knowing the truth, was I rational to believe that the light inside the refrigerator was always on?

                Dr. Craig offers this answer,

                Although this may be a basic belief which is not provable, nevertheless, it is not an arbitrary belief. It is grounded in my experience. It is perfectly rational to hold a belief like this unless you have some overriding reason to think that you are deluded. That is to say, unless you have some sort of defeater of this basic belief. In the absence of such a defeater, you are perfectly rational to entertain these basic beliefs.

Dr. Craig says that unless we encounter some defeater of our belief, we are perfectly rational to believe whatever it is that we believe. So although I know now that the light in my refrigerator does indeed turn off when I shut the door, I was perfectly rational, as a child, to believe that the light was always on, based off of my own experience. Now that I know there is a button that turns of the light when the door closes I am no longer incline to believe that the light is always on. But this does not give me permission to start believe in anything I want. These beliefs would be based off my own experience even though they may not be proven to be true by argumentation. Understanding this concept helped me come to terms with people believing in God without arguments. We have seen that believing in something based on experience is rationally acceptable (unless disproven) but this premise does not answer the question of why my college friends believe in God without the knowledge of arguments for the existence of God. This brings me to Dr. Craig’s next point.

2.       Belief that the biblical God exists is appropriately grounded.

Dr. Craig in this premise takes into account the Inner Witness of the Holy Spirit. This is what he means,

                I mean the experience of the Holy Spirit is veridical – that is to say, it is an experience of a genuine reality… I also mean that such a person doesn’t need to have supplementary arguments or evidences in order to know, and know with confidence, that he is, in fact, experiencing the Spirit of God… I also mean that this experience doesn’t function as a premise in an argument for God from religious experience… Rather, the idea here is that this is the immediate experience of God himself, so that belief in God is formed in a properly basic way… I also mean that, in certain contexts, the experience of the Holy Spirit will imply that we apprehend certain truths about God like “God loves me” or “I am guilty before God” or “God forgives me through Christ” or “I am reconciled to God through Christ” or “Christ lives within me,” and so forth… And I mean that such an experience gives a person not only a subjective assurance of Christianity’s truth – it is not just that he feels confident – but rather that he actually knows that Christianity is true… And finally, I mean that arguments and evidence which are incompatible with these truths are simply overwhelmed by the experience of the Holy Spirit for the person who fully attends to it.

Dr. Craig believes that the Holy Spirit working in the heart of the believer is enough to validate one’s belief in God. Notice that, Dr. Craig is not saying that the Holy Spirit should be used as a means to prove God’s existence but that it is rational for someone to believe in God without arguments because of the Holy Spirit’s self-authentication. Dr. Craig points to Scripture to help his case. He looks as 1 John 2:20-27,

But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all know. . . . but the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that any one should teach you; as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie, just as it has taught you, abide in him.

Here, John says that Holy Spirit will teach us Truth. The work of the Holy Spirit is enough to believe in God in a properly basic way. Dr. Craig also looks Galatians 3:26 and 4:6, Romans 8:15-16, Colossians 2:2 and 1 Thessalonians 1:5. This is where my ignorance laid. I did not take into account the work of the Holy Spirit. In times of doubt, the Holy Spirit is there speaking to us the truth of Christ. Going through this study I have grown a much deeper appreciation for the Holy Spirit and his workings in my and the lives of others. Dr. Craig tells the story of a young man in Russia with nothing more than his Bible, struggling to give a defense of his faith. He told Dr. Craig that there is no book that he knows of in Russia that offers arguments for the existence of God every book that he came into contact with only attack the idea of God. But this man was indeed driven for Christ. Dr. Craig believes it’s the Holy Spirit’s witness that has kept this young man’s heart for God alive.

3.       Therefore, belief that the biblical God exists may be rationally accepted as a basic belief not grounded on argument.

                Although there are many areas that can be explored regarding this topic. I wanted to deal with Christians being Christians without arguments. I felt I have put to rest (for now) this issue in my head. This study has changed the way I look at Christians. If I’m honest with myself there was a small part of me that was ashamed of my fellow Christians who did not study the evidences for God. It goes without saying that I no longer feel that way. I have come to the conclusion that God’s presence in the Holy Spirit is enough to validate someone’s faith in God whether or not they know the arguments.      



 



No comments:

Post a Comment